RSIBreak / KIdleTime on Wayland

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun Nov 15 22:13:24 GMT 2020

> I agree, if we can't make the KIdleTime framework work in Wayland there should be a way to query the framework if it's going to work or not.

Just to make sure that's not misread by others; the framework works
for the majority of methods used in the common case, just not this one
polling method.

> > So do you think it makes sense to have the function return some form or error instead of just returning 0, or is there a good reason it is not doing that already?

I don't think it helps with a lot, you need to change clients to
handle the error, at which point we've not really solved a lot. If
you're going to use the addIdleTimeout API you may as well do it
everywhere. It is considerably lighter on X11 too.

Like Albert suggested, a capabilities flag could make sense.
At a super bare minimum the documentation needs updating. At the other
extreme we could even deprecate it.

If after trying to port rsibreak to use the event driven API and it
turns out there really is a use case for a polling API, we do still
have the option to start a discussion about extending the relevant
wayland protocol to have such a query mechanism.

----

>RSIBreak is unable to count down in wayland, after 1 second it always resets its timer.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing: Is it when you
have a shortbreak set after N minutes and you get a "please relax for
20seconds" with a progress bar?

If so, simplest option is to start a 1s idletime timer. We don't need
to know how long we've been idle via polling, just if/when we're
interrupted during the 20s countdown.

David