Cleaning up remaining uses of download.kde.org/ocs/providers.xml

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Nov 13 17:32:10 GMT 2020

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 10:49 PM Dan Jensen <admin at leinir.dk> wrote:

> First part i can sort for some of it at least (the discover and knewstuff
> bits are just some test data, and they can be swapped outright, the other
> two will want someone closer to take a look - i also believe Alexander is
> looking at the discover stuff already elsewhere?) - i'm currently without
> my laptop, which means i sort of... just have the web ide to work with...
> which is... fine for some things and perhaps not so much others.

Thanks for getting the process of sorting these out underway.

> For the multiple-requests-in-rapid-succession thing, if this is happening
> on recent frameworks (as in, since last year around this time), then
> there's definitely something odd going on. The way to detect this would be
> to do a quick run through the headers of those requests and see what the
> user agent is (which should include the frameworks version as well - that
> code was first released with 5.66, and exists precisely to debug this kind
> of problem).

Sadly it seems that the user agent is getting overridden somewhere, as all
recent versions (since sometime in KDE 4.x onward) only send "Mozilla/5.0"
as the user agent when requesting the file - so we've no way of knowing
what versions are in use - or even which application is making the request.

Thanks,
Ben