Problems getting KDE to start...

Joseph Thomas-Kerr jokester01au at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 05:15:26 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have also been battling trying to get kde to start within cygwin.

I finally have made some progress. It seems that environment variables set
within your cygwin shell (eg in .bashrc) don't propagate to the new shell
that is running startkde. As a result you have to edit the Windows
environment variables by right-clicking on "My Computer" and "Advanced".
After I added all of the environment variables mentioned in
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde3/faq.php#debug_kde3, things started
to work.

To start X I just run "startx &".
Then, to start KDE I run "startkde"

I haven't as yet got to a working KDE desktop - several of the kdeinit
instances hang.

But it's progress. I'm going to try to run individual applications, once I
can find a distribution of cygipc, which so far is elusive.

Regards,
Joe.