Fw: Problem: Applet could not be loaded

PerfectDark PerfectDark at yandex.ru
Thu Feb 16 10:05:41 CET 2006

--- Forwarded message --
From: PerfectDark <PerfectDark at yandex.ru>
To:  <kde-cygwin at kde.org>
Date: 15.02.06 15:54
Subject: Problem: Applet could not be loaded

Hello!

I am a developer from Russia and now I try to use KDE on cygwin. Native OS is WinXP SP2.
I installed KDE 3.4.1 as described in README, and it seems installed well, but when I start KDE with script
#!/bin/bash
/usr/sbin/cygserver &
export CYGWIN=server
export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
export SHELL=/bin/bash
xwin -fullscreen -noreset &
xwinclip &
xhost +
/opt/kde3.4/bin/startkde
kdeinit_shutdown
taskkill /IM xwin
taskkill /IM xwinclip
taskkill /IM cygserver
#-----------------------END------------------
it loads and the end of loading appear error messages such as
"The Desktop Previewer & Pager Applet could not be loaded.
Please check your installation"
2nd message:
"The Taskbar Applet ....."
3rd message:
"The System Tray Applet ...."

I tried to start KDE in debug log, and very strange errors appeared (logs situated in attached zip file).

Please, help me.

Regards,
        Alexander

--- End of forwarded message --

Hello!

Now I found solution to that problem. Seems newest versions of cygwin1.dll contains bug which does not allow to load required applets and packages (such as Desktop applet, Taskbar, Text Viewer, KHTML module and several others). When I replaced newest cygwin1.dll to older version (1.5.18) kde loaded without any troubles, but several applications (bash, sed, rm, ls and others...) could not found entry point to function "getline" (actually, cygwin1.dll v1.5.18 does not contain those function, although cygwin1.dll v1.5.19.4 does)
How I can fix new problem?

Best Regards,
             Alexander Shabanov