kde cygwin patches

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue May 10 12:39:38 CEST 2005

On Monday 09 May 2005 22:35, Sunil wrote:
> > > with gcc 3.3.3 (3.4.3 was a bad idea, although the
> > > built code ran MUCH faster than 3.3.3) so far.
> >
> > You have written about dynamic_cast problems. Are
> > there more problems using
> > kde 3.4 ? Is this problems could be handled this
> > seems to be very
> > interesting, because I recognized performance
> > problems for example with
> > umbrello. The most time when importing classes is
> > gone in the dynamic_cast
> > related functions (about 60%), so I assume, that
> > this cast operations are
> > very bad implemented in gcc 3.3.3.
> >
> > Where you got gcc 3.4.3, cygwin distro contains only
> > the 3.4.1 release ?
>
> as I said, I use Gentoo portage for builds. So, I just
> did "emerge binutils" followed by "emerge gcc", it
> built gcc 3.4.3 with latest snapshot of patches
> present in the portage. I had to patch
> toolchain.eclass a bit to avoid some configure
> arguments.

To be sure, which  portage package are you using the one from
kde-cygwin.sf.net or an unmodified version ? I'm trying to reproduce your
path with the package from kde-cygwin.sf.net, but have problems.
How do you fixed the dependency problem, especially with glibc ?

> The speed difference between 3.3.3 and 3.4.3 is HUGE.
> Now my KDE on 2.4 GHz P4 feels like KDE on 450MHz sun
> ultra60 in my office. With 3.4.3 build, it felt at
> least 2-3 times as fast. But I don't have many crashes
> that came with 3.4.3.
It would be nice if you can give some short instructions how do you have
initial setup your gentoo system. This makes it easier to follow your
problems :-)

> I might try the plain 3.4.3 from gcc.gnu.org sometime
> to see if some of the patches applied by Portage are
> causing the segfaults on cygwin.
You can remove the patches from the relating ebuild and rebuild the compiler.

> Are there any cygwin specific patches available for gcc 3.3/3.4?
 It seems that cygwin uses the original sources  (see
http://mir.zyrianes.net/cygwin/release/gcc/gcc-g++/.)
May be you can try the 3.4.1 package.

Regards