kde cygwin patches

Sunil funtoos at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 22:35:23 CEST 2005

> > with gcc 3.3.3 (3.4.3 was a bad idea, although the
> > built code ran MUCH faster than 3.3.3) so far.
> You have written about dynamic_cast problems. Are
> there more problems using
> kde 3.4 ? Is this problems could be handled this
> seems to be very
> interesting, because I recognized performance
> problems for example with
> umbrello. The most time when importing classes is
> gone in the dynamic_cast
> related functions (about 60%), so I assume, that
> this cast operations are
> very bad implemented in gcc 3.3.3.
>
> Where you got gcc 3.4.3, cygwin distro contains only
> the 3.4.1 release ?

as I said, I use Gentoo portage for builds. So, I just
did "emerge binutils" followed by "emerge gcc", it
built gcc 3.4.3 with latest snapshot of patches
present in the portage. I had to patch
toolchain.eclass a bit to avoid some configure
arguments.

The speed difference between 3.3.3 and 3.4.3 is HUGE.
Now my KDE on 2.4 GHz P4 feels like KDE on 450MHz sun
ultra60 in my office. With 3.4.3 build, it felt at
least 2-3 times as fast. But I don't have many crashes
that came with 3.4.3.

I might try the plain 3.4.3 from gcc.gnu.org sometime
to see if some of the patches applied by Portage are
causing the segfaults on cygwin. Are there any cygwin
specific patches available for gcc 3.3/3.4?