How to migrate qt project part to qtwin and who can do what

Steven Boothe steven at poiema.org
Sun Mar 27 11:42:51 CEST 2005

Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried to write down the required things for the migration. In some parts
> good ideas are required.
>
> 1. Website migration
>
> a. take over recent website code and content of the qt-3 dir. The qt3-win32
> part is located in a mysql database displayed by a small self written cms,
> (support only single pages, the rest is php code)  for which I cannot give
> extended support.
>
> b. install a public known website cms and import the content from the
> qt3-win32 part or
>
> c. use a plain file website

I think I would be more in favor of going with plan b. In my case, I've been
looking into implementing Wordpress (wordpress.org) for myself and another
non-profit organization. However, what about going with a wiki? I like these
because that way anyone who comes along and discovers they have both an
interest and the time can easilly and quickly contribute to the project
without having to go to the trouble of figuring out who they should contact, etc.

> Question: What about the style of the website, should we take it from
> kde-cygwin or should it be another style ?

I personally like the style of the current site, however it does appear to
reflect a KDE theme (appropriately), where as I wonder if a website dedicated
to QT might also reflect a theme influenced by the Trolltech colors/styles
then? After all without them where would we be? I think it would be nice if
we could somehow reflect some gratitude or credit via the design if that was
possible...

> 2. Mailing list
>   1. setup a qtwin mailing list
>   2. setup a qtwin-cvs mailing list for cvs commit messages

I could help out with this too. But I don't want to over extend. This isn't
that difficult so hopefully we will have others who come forward too. I
notice that our current mailing list is being hosted by kde.org. Hmmm, I
wonder if the folks there would mind hosting qtwin? That's probably not
appropriate without a direct relation to KDE...

Hey if you go to sourceforges old summary page for qtwin directly via the URL
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtwin/
you can see from the "Lists" page that there are already two lists set up:
qtwin-announce, and qtwin-devel. I wonder if we could just replace
qtwin-devel with qtwin? I wonder that because it would almost seem by the
very nature of the project that it is for developing QT applications, and at
the same time being that I am not really a developer per se, I sometimes
hesitate to join a mailing list named that way, even though I may have
something to offer in terms of documentation or testing. Anyone else have
anything to add/subtract?

> 3. cvs archiv
>    a. copy cvs dir qt-3 cleaned from the unwanted branches to qtwin project
> (lock kde-cygwin cvs write access to qt3, download cvs tarball, clean, upload
> to public ftp space and ask sourceforge support team to import into qtwin cvs
> root).

This seems very straight forward. But as I alluded to in my earlier post, I
would think the dev's that have worked closely with the code would be most
qualified to go through it and decide on what does/doesn't get copied to the
new space. Other than than I could help with this too.

>  b. another good idea ?
>
> Any comments or anyone who can take some of this stuff ?

Thanks for keeping this going Ralf. It's great to see things moving along.

> Regards
> Ralf

Yes, to you and the other dev's too.

Steven