knoopix tool using qt/Win Free Edition@freenet.de

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Tue Mar 22 13:36:44 CET 2005

Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> last week I met Klaus Knopper the initiator of the well know KNOPPIX
> linux distribution. He told me that he currently uses a delphi
> application for creating image files anmd swap files on an ntfs
> formated  drive. Because of the commercial delphi IDE  he feels
> uncomfortable to release the original source under gpl. While we a
> talking about qt/win he asked if it would be possible to write a qt
> gpl'ed application doing this job. So I took some time and wrote a
> static linked application, which wasn't a real problem.
>
> When this application will be release, it will be seen by many people
> and will be a good change to do place some marketing for the free qt
> library, so I added a info page about the the qt/Win Free Edition.
> While doing so, I stumbled again about the project name KDE-Cygwin for
> the qt library, so my thoughts were again if it would be better to us a
> more descriptive name like Dave Bronsemas project on
> http://qtwin.sf.net. I'm thinking about either redirecting the webpage
> directly to qt3-win32 or to move all qt related parts like qt-3 related
> webspace, cvs qt-3 subdir to this project to give it a descriptive home.
>
> Any comments ?
>
> Regards
> Ralf

WE HAVE got the only FREE windows Qt of version 3.x. So all information
is in the name Qt3 Win/Free although there will be Qt4 Win/Free from Trolltech.
Why not reuse or create a sf project with such a name and move all code
to this project?

One question is, should such project only cover Qt3 or also stuff for
Qt4 which is not provided by Trolltech?

Therefore we should first find the final name of our Qt and then looking
for the right place.

Regards,
Peter