QT/X11: Building Scribus

Steven Boothe steven at poiema.org
Sat Mar 19 01:45:37 CET 2005

Ralf Habacker wrote:
>> Hmmm, well I just gave it a pass at running configure and came up with
>> this in my config.log file:
>>
>> gcc: ,-lqt-mt: No such file or directory
>
> Just found some time to see for your problem. It seems that there is
> missing
>    -L/home/cboothe/src/qt-3/lib
>
> in the link line. You may add
>
>    LFLAGS="-L/home/cboothe/src/qt-3/lib" CFLAGS="-fdata-sections"
> CXXFLAGS="-fdata-sections" ./configure --prefix=/opt/scribus/1.3

Hey this worked wonderfully! Thanks again!

> BTW: last week I met Franz Schmidt, the origin scribus author on the
> cebit exhibition in Hannover, Germany. He is excited about the win32
> efforts, also that at the same time a macosx port seems to be in work.
> He wish you all best for your efforts.

Oh that is so nice to read! Thank you for passing this on! I feel honored to
have helped in even any small way. It really is wonderfuly to have finally
gathered enough experience that I finally help facilitate getting such an
excellent piece of software available to those who still find themselves
stuck with win32 for one reason or another.

> ... We will see in the future, if this has changed his position a little
> bit like KDE developer aron seigon, who thought at first a windows port
> would be evil
> (http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39187111,00.htm),
> but changed his opinion after getting many, many opposite answers on
> this blog.

Yes! I find it quite compelling to see the page ranking of our efforts to get
Scribus working/compiled on win32 rising higher and higher above all the
other pages. That should at least demonstrate some demand if not strong
interest. :)
See: "http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Special:Popularpages"

> Additional we spokes about the limition of the windows dll format not
> supporting undefined symbols in dll's and the requirement to build a
> scribus.dll (most high reason of my scribus 1.2 patch). He stated that
> we should send all patches to the related scribus mailing list, so if we
> have any patch, we should do so.

Oh I've always wondered about what was involved with the patch for 1.2. It
would seem one may be required again for 1.3 them too? This is all very
interesting, but I have to confess my strengths are not in the actual code,
but in working with combining the ingredients and documenting a recipe that
others can follow, possibly even a package that is even easier to insall. :)

So it begs to be written again, I really have done very little except try to
pick up the trail that others have broken for us, and sketch out a rough map
so that others can follow the way to install what is definitely already a
high quality piece of software for those who would use FOSS for publishing.

All the best to you, and thanks so much again for the update and everything else.

Steven