winBltExposedRegionsShadowDDNL

Ambrus Michael michael.ambrus at maquet.com
Fri Jul 1 14:33:55 CEST 2005

I just installed KDE by hand on two different puters. On the second one (WinXP) the installation was a success and all installed programs worked fine.

On the first one (W2000 sp5) I get a strange behaviour while executing  /opt/kde3/bin/startx

The script runs normally for a while until kwin is started. Then the machine gets very slow and all processing power gets hogged by kwin and kpersonalizer. I also get this strange message on stderr:

winBltExposedRegionsShadowDDNL - IDirectDrawSurface4_Blt reported that the primary surface was lost, trying to restore, retry: 1

It never times out and this state is kept "for ever" (or at least hours).

I've searched both the achieves and the forum for some clue, but nothing resembles of this problem

Here comes a snippet of the last few lines before I kill the process manually...

+ dcopserver
_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
iceauth:  creating new authority file /home/ambrmi09/.ICEauthority
Error reading from /home/ambrmi09/.DCOPserver_sth468dt__0, didn't read the expected 57 bytes
311170:39:09.613.937 DCOP: register 'anonymous-2060' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-2060'
+ kpersonalizer --before-session
+ kwin
winBltExposedRegionsShadowDDNL - IDirectDrawSurface4_Blt reported that the primary surface was lost, trying to restore, retry: 1

waiting for X server to shut down winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

xinit:  unexpected signal 2.
+ kill -15 1928

The packages installed in both case are:

kde3-i18n-en_GB-3.1.4-0.tar.bz2
kde3-i18n-sv-3.1.4-0.tar.bz2
kdebase-3.1.4-1-gcc3.tar.bz2
kdelibs-3.1.4-3-gcc3.tar.bz2
qt-3.2.3-3-gcc3.tar.bz2

Btw. I installed qt3-lib-3.3.3.tar.bz2 first, but I got some C++ name mangling problems, so I took that away and replaced it with  qt-3.2.3-3-gcc3.tar.bz2. I uninstalled previous following instructions on the kde-cygwin homepage, just in case this has anything to do with it...

Please advice
WKR Michael