qt dll naming question

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Jan 8 10:56:21 CET 2005

Hi all,

while thinking about the recent qmake problem thread started by Chris January
and after a private communication with Jaruslav Staniek  about dll naming
scheme for kdelibs I recognized an important issue about how to deal with
different qt release installations and client apps using specific qt
releases.

Say someone have installed qt 3.3.3 and builds an app with this, this app
requires qt-mt333.dll.  Now we release a new qt release say qt 3.3.4, which
is api compatible - the qt dll is named qt-mt334.dll. Now the user updates to
this new qt releases and his application will not run because of the changed
dll name. This indicates that we should only use number parts of the release
number into the dll name, which indicates a different api.

The question is now, how does trolltech handle this stuff. Does anyone know if
their release numbering system is technical, say by api changes or political
driven ?

cygwin for example uses a mixed system depending on the related package.
Basically the use only on number, the major number, but there are also
packages, which uses the minor number too and some packages uses additional
the patch level number.