What options are there for compiling Scribus?

Holger Schröder holger-kde at holgis.net
Tue Feb 22 01:11:18 CET 2005

Hi,

all in all the process of porting Scribus to windows is not trivial.
scribus as it is now is a program, that runs on unix/linux with x11 and is
compiled with gcc.

so you should go on step by step

first: you should try to get scribus running on cygwin with x11 and qt for
cygwin and x11. that would be the transition from linux to cygwin. there can
be problems here.

then you should try to get rid of the dependency on x11. it is still needed
iirc, for example for some font stuff or so. when you got this running, you
have scribus on cygwin without x11 on qt/windows.

the next step would be to switch from cygwin to mingw.

then you can try to compile it with borland instead of gcc.

expect to spend a week of full time work on this, if it works at all.
if you can get one or more of these steps working, please tell us about it, so
that the changes you needed to make can be fed back into the main scribus
cvs.

btw: when you get a package of scribus, that is packaged directly from cvs,
you have to execute the "make -f Makefile.cvs" step, when you get a package,
that is released, then you can omit that step. released packages already
contain the file "configure" in the base directory. snapshots of cvs have to
build that file first. that is done by executing make -f Makefile.cvs.

i wish you a lot of luck with this. i looked at that about half a year ago for
some hours, and i couldn´t finish step one, because scribus was always
crashing on startup...

regards Holger