Installation problems with KDE 3.4

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Aug 11 13:57:06 CEST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 10. August 2005 18:57 schrieb gary.edwards at verizon.com:
> I'm having installation problems with CygWin KDE 3.4 under Windows XP.  I
> followed the manual installation instructions for QT 3.2.3 and KDE 3.4.1
> but kdeinit is failing to start the desktop.  I created $HOME/.xinitrc
> with a single line entry of 'startkde' and ran 'startx' from the CygWin
> command line.  The KDE splash displays and gets as far as "Initializing
> system services" but then it disappears and leaves a blank screen with no
> mouse curser or menu options.
>

> I had been running KDE 3.1.4 without issues for about 6 months but
> recently started seeing a problem with Konsole not starting automatically
> upon login.  If I manually opened a Konsole shell, it would trigger
> launching the saved desktop configuration of Konsole (which should have
> launched automatically upon login).  In an attempt to resolve this issue,
> I tried upgrading CygWin via setup from the Internet.  When I was
> unsuccessful in resolving the issue with a CygWin upgrade, I decided to
> try installing KDE 3.4.1 manually.
>

> Are there known issues with KDE 3.4.1 for CygWin?  Would you advise me to
> downgrade to KDE 3.1.4?  Any pointers you can provide for troubleshooting
> would be greatly appreciated.

for KDE 3.4 there are only snapshots available. They are not complete as kde
3.1.4. Currently there is no "complete desktop" start mode as available for
kde 3.1.4.
It may be possible to use kde 3.1.4 application under kde 3.4 (I'm using
kde3.1.4 kdegames-kolf with kde 3.4 ).
Please note that kde 3.4 requires qt >= 3.3.3, qt 3.2.3 will not work.

The easiest way is

1. rename the path /opt/qt and /opt/kde3 for example to /opt/qt3.2
rsp. /opt/kde3.1.4 (
2. please remove /etc/profile.d/qt...sh  and /etc/profile/kde...sh

3. Then follow the README on the snapshot page for installation kde 3.4.

4. create the following link as preparation for kde 3.1.4 package usage

	ln -s kde3.4 /opt/kde3

5. Now you can download and unpack additional kde 3.1.4 package like kdegames,
kdeedu or others (this does not work for kdebase, kdelibs and kdepim)

Hope that helps

--
Ralf Habacker