Installation problems with KDE 3.4

gary.edwards@verizon.com gary.edwards at verizon.com
Wed Aug 10 18:57:05 CEST 2005

I'm having installation problems with CygWin KDE 3.4 under Windows XP.  I
followed the manual installation instructions for QT 3.2.3 and KDE 3.4.1
but kdeinit is failing to start the desktop.  I created $HOME/.xinitrc
with a single line entry of 'startkde' and ran 'startx' from the CygWin
command line.  The KDE splash displays and gets as far as "Initializing
system services" but then it disappears and leaves a blank screen with no
mouse curser or menu options.

I had been running KDE 3.1.4 without issues for about 6 months but
recently started seeing a problem with Konsole not starting automatically
upon login.  If I manually opened a Konsole shell, it would trigger
launching the saved desktop configuration of Konsole (which should have
launched automatically upon login).  In an attempt to resolve this issue,
I tried upgrading CygWin via setup from the Internet.  When I was
unsuccessful in resolving the issue with a CygWin upgrade, I decided to
try installing KDE 3.4.1 manually.

Are there known issues with KDE 3.4.1 for CygWin?  Would you advise me to
downgrade to KDE 3.1.4?  Any pointers you can provide for troubleshooting
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary Edwards

Infrastructure Tools Support