FW: Question about QT

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Fri Oct 22 12:32:33 CEST 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 10:54, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> On Friday 22 October 2004 07:23, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > Ralf Habacker wrote:
> > | To be sure, you are using gcc 3.4  ? And you haven't the 0xc000000
> > | error ?
> > |
> > | This is very interesting to hear because I'm searching for a solution
> > | for
>
> this annoying bug.
>
> > Cygwin gcc-3.3.3-3 includes a number of things backported from gcc-3.4;
> > I believe this is one of them.
> >
> > When building the tools apps OOTB I did get the Oxc0000005 errors, but
> > the cause is known; it's been discussed quite a bit on the cygwin lists
> > since September.  For example, these threads:
> >
> > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg01101.html
> > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-09/msg00309.html >
> > Since then, cygwin libtool has been updated to help compensate for this
> > problem; unfortunately that doesn't help us with qt, as it doesn't use
> > libtool. :-(
>
> Do you have tried to use the -fdata-sections compiler switch, which places
> all data (also const symbols) in real data sections ? I remember, that I
> had fixed a similar problem building the last kde release.

I've found a workaround in using a specific linker script, which places all
rdata symbols into the data section of the dll

Copy the attached file into $QTDIR/mkspecs/cygwin-g++ and use the following
link line (designed for qmake generated Makefiles) for compiling the qt and
any other related dlls.

make  LINK="g++ -Wl,--script $QTDIR/mkspecs/cygwin-g++/i386pe.x-no-rdata"

It would be glad if you can reports if this works for you. If it does I will
add this script to the cygwin-g++ qt specs.

BTW: Using the -fdata-sections options will be required too.

Regards