3_3 branch link problem with mingw

Chris January chris at atomice.net
Tue Nov 9 10:23:13 CET 2004

> GetCharacterPlacement doesn't work for Unicode on Windows 9x,
> so we need to implement it in order to support W9x, here are
> some links from MSDN:

> Although we can the Microsoft layer for Unicode to support
> Windows 9x, but i'm don't know if the MSLU support
> GetGlypIndices or GetCharacterPlacementW, so someone else
> needs to do a little research about that (Actually i'm very
> busy, i can't promise to do it, but i'll try).  Use of MSLU
> would be good because we can avoid use of QT_WA or things
> like that, and use only xxxW functions.
>
> What do you think???

I'd rather not use MSLU because not everyone has it installed and it adds an
unncessary dependancy. I'd be happy converting Unicode strings to the
current codepage and using GetCharacterPlacementA as a stop-gap measure and
then add an implementation along the lines of MSKB 241020 at a later stage.
I want to make some kind of release of 3.3.3 in the near future and the use
of GetGlyphIndices is a show-stopper since it prevents compatibility with
Win 9x. I'll see if I can load up a copy of Windows 95 on Virtual PC at
lunch and get Qt/Win32 working on there.

Chris