Some errors in compiling Qt 3/Win32 on Cygwin and other stuff...

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Jun 29 22:51:29 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 08:17, Ole Jacob Hagen wrote:
> Hi, again.
>
> Ralf Habacker wrote:
> >On Saturday 26 June 2004 13:45, Ole Jacob Hagen wrote:
> >>There was an error in the Makefile, here.
> >>But I replaced this Makefile, with the Makefile that was in the
> >>QT_WIN32_3_2_BRANCH branch.
> >>Then it compiled almost successfully, but there was an error in builing
> >>designer.exe-
> >
> >Which Makefile are you refereing ? The Makefiles except for qmake are
> > produced by qmake. Can you see where the problems are in the related .pro
> >  file  does qmake produces wrong makefiles ?
>
> I just followed the compilation instructions, from Qt3/Win32.
> The Makefile in the CVS is your Makefile, on your computer. This is for
> branch QT_WIN32_3_BRANCH, but if you take a look at the Makefile in
> QT_WIN32_3_2_BRANCH, you will have a totally another Makefile, which is
> the Main Makefile for building Qt library, examples and tutorial.

I have recognized this too. The main Makefile of the QT_WIN32_3_BRANCH was
corrupted, but is fixed now.

> >There were some efforts to implement msvc support. At least Peter Kümmel
> > and Thaigo Correra from the wpdev project have sumitted some support.
> > Mostly of them are in cvs, but at that time no usable configure tool was
> > provided, so I applied the patches I saw usefull.
> >
> >Last week I saw that recent wpdev qt release contains a qt based configure
> >tool, which I have tried to apply to the QT_WIN32_3_BRANCH with some
> > errors. I will inspect what there is wrong and add this configure to the
> > kde-cygwin cvs.
>
> So, this means that Qt3/Win32 will run natively on Windows? As it did
> for Mr. Kuemmel?

Yes, just in the last few day's i have submitted the left patches from Peter
Kümmel and got his configure exe running. I also extended the build with an
application which initialy prepares the include dir like the Makefile.cvs of
the cygwin release does. I hope the fixes are complete. Designer and other
application works mostly.

See the README.win32 in the qt source root for further informations.

> Well, I was planning to do the same as Mr. Kuemmel, and fix Qt-source,
> and thereby compile it with MSVC.
> I got his "description" in what to do before compilation, but
> unfortunatly I haven't got any time to actually persue this.
>
> When I do, what BRANCH should I patch for, if patching is needed?
> There are two branches: qt_win32_3_branch and qt_win32_3_2_branch.
> I see that the qt_win32_3_branch is recently patched....Should I use this?

yes, please use qt_win32_3_branch.

> >The only problem is that currently I have only an old msvc 6++ release,
> > which hangs in XP when a compiling or linking error occur, which makes
> > debugging very annoying. I will see how far I can reach.
>
> You have installed all service packs to msvc-6.0?

No, do you know where to download ?