kmail maildir patches???

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sun Feb 15 14:09:15 CET 2004

On Sunday 15 February 2004 10:55, Holger Karl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a brief follow-up here: I just copied a sizeable amount of mails (>
> 30.000, > 3 GB) to kmail-on-cywin (renaming : for _) and kmail seemed to be
> quite happy about it. Certainly faster than what I had expected it to be.

Nice to hear. I've done a little research in the meantime and found that there
is already a email server with maildir support on cygwin. The courier imap
server uses '!' instead of ':', so I think we should use this instead of
introducing another delimiter.

Any idea how samba does convert ':' when accessing a maildir tree from
windows ? I'm thinking about adding such a support to windows kmail, which
would allow kmail on windows reading directly linux based maildirs trees.

> The only problem I noticed is with the index files. Occasionally, when
> switching between folders, existing mails where shown as "No subject/No
> sender" with empty body. Also, doing a "Mark all emails as read" via the
> right-click folder menu didn't work as expected but seemed to corrupt the
> index file.
> Quitting kmail, manually deleting that particular folder's index file
> always cured the problem, as far as I can tell.

I have catched this issue, which is caused while update the index file in
kmfolder.cpp:writeIndex(). After creating a new index file using a temporay
name, the current implementation renames the tempory file to the name of the
regular index file, which wasn't closed before, so that this overwriting
fails and the last changes were lost.

I'm preparing currently a patch for this.

Cheers