multwindow mode problem

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Apr 1 15:36:55 CEST 2004

On Thursday 01 April 2004 07:42, David Strozzi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, KDE for cygwin is extremely helpful!  Many thanks to its creators.

Nice to hear.

> I installed KDE 3.1.4 today, upgrading from 3.1.1.  I could run KDe
> 'normally' via
>
> startx &
>
> but not in 'multiwindow' (all windows just normal windoze windows)
>
> start -multiwindow &
>
> I get an error, identical to one in a post from February by Trevor
> (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&m=107769264302613&w=2), where
> the KDE
> desktop 'takes up' the whole screen except the windows taskbar, and I
> can't get any windoze windows to come to the foreground.
>
> So, I wiped cygwin off my hard drive, made a fresh install, and
> multiwindow worked fine.  For several times.
>
> Then, I started 'full' KDE with startx &, and now the same problem occurs
> with multiwindow!
>

> Following Ralf's suggestion to Trevor, I looked to see if the process kwin
> is running after KDE is done, and it is.  I kill it, and multiwindow works
> fine, new kde progs start as windoze windows, etc.
>

> But, why does kwin start?  When I run KDE with startx &, is that modifying
> some initialization file?

It is started from ksmserver by default. See /opt/kde3/bin/startkde
<snip>
# finally, give the session control to the session manager
# if the KDEWM environment variable has been set, then it will be used as
KDE's
# window manager instead of kwin.
# if KDEWM is not set, ksmserver will ensure kwin is started.
</snip>

I have tried to avoid this by setting

KDEWM="unknown"	# dummy name to avoid loading of a window manager

but it seems not work in any case and I'm currently out of an idea how to fix.

Ralf

 Thanks.