I can play cannonball in qt-win32 :-)

Ralf Habacker kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 23:26:20 +0100

>> BTW: I haven't heard anything from this port. Does this mean, that the
>> efforts has been stopped ?
>> Was my initial 80/20 assumption so frustrating, that anybody sees the whole
>> mountain, which seem to hard to be broken ? I hope no.
>>
>> I'm working on this stuff about 2 years and have funny time but also very
>> hard times, were my endurance was requested very much.
>> Giving up isn't the right way. I remember some time in my job time having
>> very hard challenges and now, when I see back, I'm happy, that I haven't
>> gave up.
>>
>> So be encouraged to go on this road and take only one step after another.
>>
>> Regards
>> Ralf
>>
>Hi,
>
>i haven't given up on this, i was only quite busy the last days, and i was
>working on "freeing" kde 3.1 from X dependencies, so i was targeting the
>problem "kde on windows" from the other side. my work on that was quite quick
>and dirty again, but i reached a state where i have a global overview what has
>to be done to fix the remaining "problems" in kde,
Can you reports this issues ?

> and i also was able to work with a kde konsole under qt/embedded.

Using a frame buffer ? Can you give a short description how do you have got this
working ?

> konqueror and all the other "bigger" programs are still segfaulting, because i
simply commented out all stuff that
>was dependant on X.

Very interesting. Which kde release you are using ?

>i also have to tell you that i do work for a company, which pays me to work
with
>qt to create a program for lawyers, and i will get a commercial license for qt
on
>x11 and on windows.
Probably qt3.1 ?
> so i think i won't be able to work on the windows port of qt
>any more, because i will have the files i was working on in source code from
>trolltech. :-(

Holger, you have done a great work. Thanks for all your efforts on the qt/win32
port.
I see this with one laughing and one weeking eye. Laughing, because you've got
this chance for you personally and that you are able to figure out some of the
win32 kde issues and weeking, because the port seems to be stopped temporary.

One question: Can you send a commented update of the ported class list to this
list ?  Then I can update the website with the open issues, so that others will
know where to go one.

>on the other hand from now on i can work on compiling kde on windows with an
>already finished qt for windows, and i think that will go forward even
>faster...
>i think the qt port is in a stage, where people can actually see that it is
almost
>working, and when there will be more interest in kde on windows, let
>say in summer or so, it should be a doable task to finish this port with the
>manpower of five to ten people in a month or so.

Okay, let us see, what will be happen :-)

Ralf