KDE's Cygwin net install - how it's done?

Robert Collins robert.collins at syncretize.net
Thu Jul 31 08:30:11 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 00:12, Jari Aalto wrote:
> [Please keep CC, I'm not in this list]
>
> I have techical question regarding the Cygwin setup.exe installer.
> It's nice to put a link to a setup.exe's dialog:
>
>     Choose a Download Site:
>     User URL: http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net
>
> And then see all the KDE + QT tools available from the listing.  Now,
> how do do that? What files are behid the LINK, so that Cygwin's setup
> recognizes it as a source for more packages. I'd need the similar
> concept for other cygwin tools I'm planning to release (die to fact
> that they cannot be shipped directly with Cygwin. E.g Glimpse's
> Licence is not strict GPL).

Two things:
1) Setup's homepage - http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html -
should answer the files issue, if it doesn't let me know.
2) Cygwin /doesn't/ require strict GPL for something to be included - it
requires it to be licence compatible with cygwin1.dll, which means an
OSI approved 'open source licence'. Whether or not you distribute
glimpse separately doesn't change the licencing issues -at all-.

Cheers,
Rob