KDE-cygwin news from the linuxtag

RichardL㱫㭧 richard at goteborg.utfors.se
Sat Jul 12 18:28:04 CEST 2003

Hi Ralf

Thanks a lot for sharing.

It is nice to hear that the kde teams seem interested
in getting KDE to run on windows too.

Also I wonder if Holger is cooperating with Jaroslaw
Staniek, who's working on QKW (http://www.iidea.pl/~js/qkw/), which is
basically the same thing. Would be a shame duplicating the efforts.

Nove Hrady seems interesting, too bad I can't even
afford to fix my own computer at the moment :-(

(and btw, no need to worry about your english,
it's a good as anyone around here)

Richard

> [...]
>
> I'm very impressed by this. As Holger has started the qt2 port, I
have
> thought about how this port should go to miminize the steps and the
> needed efforts, but I haven't thought that step 2 would be started
at
> only half a year after the qt2 port and how far the results already
> are.
>
> Seeing this makes me more believable, that another important step,
> which isn't documented yet, but will be coming soon, could happen.
>
> An additional question was, how the KDE organisation the KDE on
> windows initiative see and he answers, that they like see this
happens
> and that they will not put any stones in the way. Later in the day
> Ralf Nolden told us: "KDE on windows ? Great thing. Do it!!!". So
> everybody is invitated to help, that this vision will be come true.
>

> Notes to the KDE3/win32 port
>
> After Holger Schröder leaved the qt2/win32 porting - going to earn
> money in a company, while he is still studing in hannover,  he have
> gotten access to a commercial qt license, which give him the chance
> try how kde/win32 works with a already ported QT3/win32 library. So
he
> is preparing the kde3/win32 port in the background.
>
> A very important event will be the KDE developer conference in Novre
> havre. Holger Schröder will have the chance to speek to the
developer
> forum about the ongoing efforts of the KDE-cygwin team.
>
> One of the major goals of this presentation will be to inform the
kde
> developers about the requirements of the windows port in relation to

> the operation system and gui differences like forking, which isn't
> available under a native windows, unix domain sockets, unix path
> layout versus windows path layouts, how to separate os and gui
> depending kde code from the rest and other important this. In the
next
> time we are going to collect such issues to which anyone is
invitated
> to contribute. For example we will start to publish a class list
> todo of some kdelibs parts in the next week.
>
> If you are interested in contributing to the coming KDE windows
port,
> think about visiting the developer conference. You have the chance
> get in contact with many kde core or application developers, which
may
> be important for your further personal business carrier, because KDE

> will be one of the major platform independent application framework
in
> the furture and you can get a part of this now. If you are really
> interested, please contact Holger Schröder.
>
> KDE/cygwin on the linuxtag dvd
>
> Another interesting news is, that Klaus Knopper - the maintainer of
> the KNOPPIX Linux CD - has build a linuxtag DVD with a special
KNOPPIX
> edition, informations about the linuxtag and now the very good news,

> he has added the KDE-3.1.1/cygwin release to this dvd. This is very
> cool and a good way to increase the publicity of the KDE/cygwin
port.

> Additional we have spoken how to distribute further KDE/cygwin
> releases and/or applications like a kgroupware client or something
> else. I think we will be in contact in future.
>
> KDE on Windows will be more interesting for people, if it
distributes