Compiling Qt 3.1.1

Michael Stout kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:55:31 -0800

Ralf Habacker wrote:

>>For the hell of it I'm trying to compile Qt 3.1.1 from trolltech's
>>sources and got to a point where I am having trouble linking libqjpeg.dll.
>>

>Are you compiling under cygwin and are you trying to build a cygwin targeted
>release ?

Yes.  I'm compiling under cygwin (cvs) and used your
config.cygwin-thread script.

>You can't compile trolltech's source under cygwin, you need the source from the
>kde-cygwin cvs area. We have send some patches to trolltech, but they are not
>applied until now.

I've been curious for some time now about why things cant just compile
nicely under cygwin.  This is just the
an exercise in finding out what's up.  What kind of changes did you have
to make?

>In the cygwin dll. I haven't found this function in recent cvs release of the
>cygwin1.dll

Here is an example where I perhaps dont know whats up.  I implemented
getlogin_r in my own version of cygwin1.dll. to get
libqt-mt.dll.3.1.1 to link.

I'm somewhat knowledgeable about windows runtime linking and such and
not so knowledgeable about linux.  I want to learn more.

It is just wierd. Essentially I'm linking a really simple file to
libqt-mt.dll and I'm getting errors like
blahblah/libqt-mt.dll(.text+0x0):fake: multiple definition of
`___do_frame_init'
blahblah/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/crtbegin.o(.text+0x0): first defined here

it's as if ld is incorporating libqt-mt.dll's  exported symbol
___do_frame_init which is also defined in crtbegin.o.  It seems to me that
either ___do_frame_init shouldnt be exported by libqt-mt.dll or ld
should prefer crtbegin.o's version of ___do_frame_init.  By the way,
do_frame_init is not listed in the exports section of libqt-mt.dll but
is in the text segment.

By the way, this KDE port is really cool.

Mike