KOffice with Cygwin KDE 3.1.1 Beta

James Dowdell jdowdell at comcast.net
Sun Aug 17 19:33:33 CEST 2003

First off, sorry all if this is in the wrong place.  I've spent several months (off and on) looking around documentation and googling and have failed to figure out what I'm doing, so I thought I'd risk peeving some folks and ask people for help.

Second off, congrats to all working on porting KDE over to cygwin.  It's coming along nicely!

I'm interested in compiling/running koffice for the 3.1.1 Beta.  I used the installer from http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde3/installation.php and the first update.  I also followed the manual installation instructions from http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3/download.php on cygwin qt installation.  I was able to get qtconfig and designer to pop up on the cygwin X Windows window.

I then downloaded what I believe is the koffice source from http://apps.kde.com/na/2/info/id/163, the first link under "General Packages".  I go to issue configure, and get the error:

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0.3) (library qt-mt) not found.
 Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
Make sure that you have compiled Qt with thread support!

Though if I understand things right, I actually have Qt 3.0.4 floating around somewhere in my cygwin files.  I noticed in the configure file itself there are three options that might be handy,

--with-qt-dir=DIR       where the root of Qt is installed
--with-qt-includes=DIR  where the Qt includes are.
--with-qt-libraries=DIR where the Qt library is installed.

But I have no clue what to put or how to find out.

I have marginal experience with unix and linux - I am by no means an adept or a master.  I know how to unpack source distros and issue ./configure or make / make install.  On rare occasions I can go muck around in build sources that aren't compiling and figure out what's wrong.  But please, be lenient with the newbie!  I have even less experience with KDE or Qt, though I'm hoping to get more involved as both seem very cool.

Anyway, any help or advice is appreciated.  Most especially, "you're in over your head, wait for us to port koffice along with a full release of kde for cygwin", if it's appropriate.

Sincerely,
James Dowdell
jdowdell at comcast.net