Kde 3.1.1 Beta

Jon Wilson sendmemymail at bigfoot.com
Fri Apr 25 02:32:11 CEST 2003

I seem to be unable to get Kde 3.1.1 working. I have installed cygwin
from ftp.mirror.ac.uk.
I have installed the following packages...
XFree86-base-4.2.0-1.tar.bz2
ash-20020731-1.tar.bz2
base-files-1.3-1.tar.bz2
base-passwd-1.1-1.tar.bz2
bash-2.05b-9.tar.bz2
libbz2_1
bzip2\libbz2_1=:
libbz2_1-1.0.2-2.tar.bz2
cygwin-1.3.22-1.tar.bz2
diffutils-2.8.1-1.tar.bz2
fileutils-4.1-1.tar.bz2
findutils-4.1.7-4.tar.bz2
gawk-3.1.2-2.tar.bz2
gdbm-1.8.0-5.tar.bz2
libgdbm-1.8.0-5.tar.bz2
libgdbm-devel-1.8.0-5.tar.bz2
libgdbm3-1.8.3-1.tar.bz2
gettext-0.11.5-1.tar.bz2
libintl-0.10.38-3.tar.bz2
libintl1-0.10.40-1.tar.bz2
libintl2-0.11.5-1.tar.bz2
grep-2.5-1.tar.bz2
gzip-1.3.3-4.tar.bz2
jpeg-6b-7.tar.bz2
libiconv2-1.8-2.tar.bz2
libpng12-1.2.5-1.tar.bz2
libxml2-2.4.23-1.tar.bz2
libxslt-1.0.13-1.tar.bz2
login-1.8-1.tar.bz2
ncurses-5.3-1.tar.bz2
libncurses5-5.2-1.tar.bz2
libncurses6-5.2-8.tar.bz2
libncurses7-5.3-1.tar.bz2
openssl-0.9.7b-1.tar.bz2
openssl096-0.9.6j-1.tar.bz2
pcre-4.1-1.tar.bz2
readline-4.3-2.tar.bz2
libreadline4-4.1-2.tar.bz2
libreadline5-4.3-2.tar.bz2
sed-4.0.7-1.tar.bz2
sh-utils-2.0.15-3.tar.bz2
tar-1.13.25-1.tar.bz2
termcap-20020930-1.tar.bz2
terminfo-5.3-2.tar.bz2
textutils-2.0.21-1.tar.bz2
tiff-3.6.0-1.tar.bz2
which-1.5-1.tar.bz2
zlib-1.1.4-1.tar.bz2

When I start KDE however, it says it cannot find /opt/kde/%USERPROFILE%
even after restarting explorer.exe and logging out. I also had to
install libpng which is neither part of cygwin-base or mentioned in the
dependencies. My USERPROFILE points to "c:\documents and settings\Jon".
Also the cygwin1.dll clashes with my OpenSSH server, (I renamed that
dll) can you think of any way to resolve that? They both have the same
filename, but complain of different versions when run with the other
programs dll. Do you plan to create a full installer which includes the
minimal Cygwin install also? As this would make setup a lot easier.
Thanks for your help.
Jon Wilson