Can't start kde

Lisi kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:38:00 +0200

I am total newbie to Linux in general, and to both cygwin and kde, so don't
take any knowledge for granted in your answer. If there is more information
you need, please be specific in asking for it.

I start Xfree86 with startxwin.bat, and then start kde with startkde. Lots
of text scrolls by, the splash screen pops up and things progress to
"kdeinit  - this program has performed an illegal operation and will be
shut down"

When I click OK the box disappears but KDE seems to continue loading. I
then get another error box (from KDE, I think) saying "Sound server fatal
error: cpu overload, aborting"

When I click OK, then it just hangs.

Sometimes it begins loading the desktop (menu at top - File, New,
Bookmarks, etc and icons at the bottom. But then it hangs and I can't click
on any of the icons.

I am running Cygwin 1.3.15-2 with setup 2.249.2.5, Xfree86 4.2.0, KDE-2
2.2.2-b1, and QT-1 1.45-b1.

QT-2

Thanks in advance,

-Lisi