use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH in Cygwin

Chris January kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:59:37 -0000

Ralf, I remember some time back a discussion as to whether it was necessary
to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH under Cygwin. I recently found this section in the
Cygwin user manual which explains the situation.

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable is used by the Cygwin function
dlopen () as a list of directories to search for .dll files to load. This
environment variable is converted from Windows format to UNIX format when a
Cygwin process first starts. Most Cygwin applications do not make use of the
dlopen () call and do not need this variable.

Regards
Chris