KDE fails to startup

Chris January kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:41:41 +0100

> Error: Can not create link from "/home/chris/.kde2/socket-advent02" to
> "/tmp/ksocket-chris"
> Error: Can not create link from "/home/chris/.kde2/socket-advent02" to
> "/tmp/ksocket-chris002700"
> trying to create local folder: Filename exists with different case
> failed to create /home/chris/.kde2/socket-advent02/
>
> This errror I've never seen before. I think this is the main problem.
> Are there access problems. Read only or so ?
Changing the Cygwin environment variable option from check_case:strict to
check_case:adjust solved the problem. My computer name is in captials
(ADVENT02) and at some points KDE is using the uppercase version and at
others the lowercase. This doesn't work since Windows filesystems are case
insensitive and can't have both the upper and lower case files existing at
the same time. I have no idea why this suddenly became a problem though - I
will try to investigate further - meanwhile I'll add an FAQ entry for the
problem.

Regard
Chris