Request to relicense all CC0-1.0 code to MIT (or similar permissive license)

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 13:12:32 GMT 2023

Hey folks,

During a review for flatpak-kcm for inclusion in Fedora, I discovered
that KDE currently licenses its CI scripts under the CC0 (SPDX:
CC0-1.0) license. This is no longer generally permitted in Fedora for
software/code due to the explicit exclusion of patent license
grants[1].

While I realize that the likelihood of practical issues around this is
pretty low for the case that KDE has been licensing the CI scripts
under, it does cause headaches for us. I've made a request for a
exception[2] so that we can continue to ship KDE software without
having to take extraordinary actions, but I would like to request that
KDE disallow code to be licensed under CC0-1.0 and recommend all
existing code under that license to be transitioned to an accepted
permissive license. My suggestion would be to recommend transitioning
to the MIT license[3].

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Neal

P.S.: I originally sent this to kde-licensing at kde.org, which
apparently doesn't exist. Sorry for those CC'd getting this twice.
Oops!

[1]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/legal@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/RRYM3CLYJYW64VSQIXY6IF3TCDZGS6LM/
[2]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/legal@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/Q67KFP4NT3WEL2Z75BYCXMP2IOQHLBJT/
[3]: https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT