Proposal for using gitlab for kdereview process

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Feb 18 11:02:38 GMT 2023

El divendres, 17 de febrer de 2023, a les 8:53:54 (CET), David Redondo va
escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I observed that participation in kdereview is fairly low. Usually only the
> same few people participate (I have to admit this does not include me
> either). Further follow up to their comments tends sometimes to be slow or
> is missed. Sometimes it fizzles out completely.
> I think nowadays we have better tools to streamline the whole process, which
> we are familiar with and make the barrier to participation lower. My idea
> is to use Gitlab which we use for normal code review also for the kdereview
> process. For example it could be as follows
> - Announce the intention to go through kdereview as usual to kde-core-devel
> - Create a MR in your project's repo from master branch into an empty
> kdereview branch
> - Could copy the sanity checklist [1] as task list and check things there
> - Reviewers can leave review comments in the familiar web interface
> - Commits that fix review comments are pushed to master branch and so update
> the code seen in the MR
> - Once the reviewers are satisfied and their feedback incorporated, they
> approve the MR and it can be closed
>
> Thoughts?

I'm not convinced more paper work is going to help us increase the number of
participants in the review process (which is imho the big issue), but if
you're willing to document all this properly I'm happy to give it a try and be
proven wrong :)

Cheers,
  Albert