KUnifiedPush in KDE Review

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Feb 8 12:11:52 GMT 2023

On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 6:36 PM Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to get KUnifiedPush (https://invent.kde.org/libraries/kunifiedpush)
> through KDE Review.
>
> KUnifiedPush contains the client-side building blocks we need for making use of
> the UnifiedPush (https://unifiedpush.org/) push notification standard.
>
> In particular there are three parts:
> - an application-side client library
> - a client-side push notification daemon ("distributor")
> - a KCM to configure the preferred push provider and to see registered
> applications
>
> We might want to split out the application-side part eventually, to not mix
> platform and framework parts, but that shouldn't affect the review.
>
> Open issues:
> - this is only working for the D-Bus part of the UnifiedPush spec, there is a
> start of an Android implementation but that is still non-functional if the app
> isn't running while the platform receives a push notification. That needs some
> understanding of both the Qt <-> Android integration and the Android
> mechanisms around broadcast receivers and the restrictions on those, help very
> much welcome.
> - while this is generally functional and usable, actual deployment is also
> depending on having a default push provider (the server side part). There have
> been a few discussions at FOSDEM on how to progress that.
>
> For more background, there has been an Akademy talk on this, and there is a
> writeup of that here: https://volkerkrause.eu/2022/11/12/kde-unifiedpush-push-notifications.html.
>
> Thanks!
> Volker

Hi Volker,
This sounds great, super encouraging to see progress on this front!

I was wondering, what's the reason to include this in libraries rather
than frameworks directly? Is it because of the current state of KDE
Frameworks transition? I see that KUnifiedPush already sees itself as
tier 1 (which is probably also something to address since it has a
number of KF dependencies).

Splitting it would make sense, but I understand this is something to
happen at least with Plasma 6 as Plasma 5 is feature frozen.

Aleix