KUnifiedPush in KDE Review

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Feb 7 17:36:22 GMT 2023

Hello everyone,

I'd like to get KUnifiedPush (https://invent.kde.org/libraries/kunifiedpush)
through KDE Review.

KUnifiedPush contains the client-side building blocks we need for making use of
the UnifiedPush (https://unifiedpush.org/) push notification standard.

In particular there are three parts:
- an application-side client library
- a client-side push notification daemon ("distributor")
- a KCM to configure the preferred push provider and to see registered
applications

We might want to split out the application-side part eventually, to not mix
platform and framework parts, but that shouldn't affect the review.

Open issues:
- this is only working for the D-Bus part of the UnifiedPush spec, there is a
start of an Android implementation but that is still non-functional if the app
isn't running while the platform receives a push notification. That needs some
understanding of both the Qt <-> Android integration and the Android
mechanisms around broadcast receivers and the restrictions on those, help very
much welcome.
- while this is generally functional and usable, actual deployment is also
depending on having a default push provider (the server side part). There have
been a few discussions at FOSDEM on how to progress that.

For more background, there has been an Akademy talk on this, and there is a
writeup of that here: https://volkerkrause.eu/2022/11/12/kde-unifiedpush-push-notifications.html.

Thanks!
Volker