Koko in KDEReview

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue May 4 18:11:06 BST 2021

Am Dienstag, 4. Mai 2021, 16:53:39 CEST schrieb Adriaan de Groot:
> On Tuesday, 4 May 2021 15:50:27 CEST Halla Rempt wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 4 May 2021 15:28:30 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
> > > I don't see anyone really trying to argue otherwise.
> >
> > I have certainly made that argument many times. Since only developers can
> > add tags, it will be impossible for ordinary users to provide enough
> > information to classify the bug. Tagging systems suck big-time. Looking it
> > GIMP's gitlab issues shows that not even the OS is reliably tagged!
>
> What Halla said. Every time we have this conversation, Krita is the special
> case, because it *is* a special case -- many many users, diverse platforms,
> non-technical bug-reports. We must not discount Krita's experiences and
> needs -- conversely not ignore the needs of some obscure edge-case tool
> that is only going to get FreeBSD sysadmins to file bug reports (which
> might be *fine* in GitLab issues, because there's only ever 3 users).

I think you hit the nail here: we have different apps in different life-cycles
with different bug tracking needs.

- Begging apps like Plasma Mobile: very few users, mostly enthusiasts and
developers.
- Established apps like Kate: many users of all levels, but still mostly
technically interested
- Superstar apps like Krita: users, user, users and all non-technical

The needs of the first and third category are very different and might not be
suited well by the same tool. Just like there is KWrite and Kate and KDevelop
for different kind of work tasks.

I can totally understand that bugzilla doesn't make sense for Plasma Mobile
and I absolutely agree that GitLab issues is a totally unsuitable tool for
Krita (or KWin). On the other hand bugzilla is IMHO also unsuited for the
superstar apps, it just offers enough possibilities to somehow manage it.

Long story short: I think we should discuss how we can get to a state where
apps can decide which tool to use. But for the moment I agree with Harald that
the status quo requires a bugzilla product to handle DrKonqui crash reports.

Cheers
Martin