Koko in KDEReview

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue May 4 15:26:22 BST 2021

On 5/4/21 7:50 AM, Halla Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 May 2021 15:28:30 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
>> I don't see anyone really trying to argue otherwise.
>
> I have certainly made that argument many times. Since only developers can add tags, it will be impossible for ordinary users to provide enough information to classify the bug. Tagging systems suck big-time. Looking it GIMP's gitlab issues shows that not even the OS is reliably tagged!

Again, my point was not that everything about GLI is universally better
than everything about BZ. Just that most things are mostly better in
most ways that most of us care about. I'll acknowledge that some things
are worse. But GLI is at least developed upstream so there is the
possibility of improvement. With BZ, not so much.

---

FWIW I think it might make more sense to put information like the OS in
the issue text itself--encouraged via a bug reporting template--than it
is to use tags for that. In GLI, you can edit comments and even the
original text, so anything that's missing can be added later, unlike in
BZ. This mutability in GLI reduces the need for dedicated mutable text
fields and comboboxes for this that and the other thing, the way BZ has.
It's all kind of a workaround for the fact that you can't edit the
original text of the bug report in BZ.

However those are implementation details we can probably hash out later.

Nate