Koko in KDEReview

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Mar 18 16:56:24 GMT 2021

On Dienstag, 16. März 2021 20:10:46 CET Carl Schwan wrote:
> Le mardi, mars 16, 2021 12:55 PM, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> a écrit :
> > -   since it doesn't appear in the UI, I can't check: is the geodata
> >
> >     actually getting localized? at least the geocoder seems to spit out
> >     non-localized values
>
> Yeah, it's not localized :( Cities and region names are using the local
> name and countries are using the English name. It probably make sense to
> fix the contries name to be localized but the cities/regions names won't
> be realistic since there are just too many of them (~137 562).

Countries and country subdivisions (regions) are part of the iso-codes
translation catalogs we depend on already anyway. See also https://
phabricator.kde.org/T12429 for an API proposal to make that easily accessible
(needs feedback to continue).

Cities also recently came up in the context of KWeather. If we want that, it
might be doable by compiling the city database ourselves based on OSM/
Wikidata, including all translations found in there. That is very likely also
not complete, but certainly a lot more realistic than trying to translate this
ourselves.