KDE Gear releases & Frameworks dependencies

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Mar 2 21:11:50 GMT 2021

El dimarts, 2 de març de 2021, a les 19:39:57 CET, Christoph Cullmann va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> for the KDE Gear release service releases, what is actually an
> acceptable Frameworks release requirement for the upcoming 21.04?
>
> e.g. at the moment, Kate requires Frameworks 5.79 in master, we needed
> some new API to avoid ugly hacks.
>
> Would it be acceptable to move this to the latest version that will be
> out in March, e.g. 5.80?
>
> Or will this lead to issues?

Applications and libraries part of the release service can define their own dependencies, the worst that can happen is that your application doesn't get packaged for some distributions because your dependency is un-attainable for them, but that's a risk you seem be willing to take, so nothing against it.

On the other hand from a release point of view, the release service dependency freeze is on March 11 and KDE Frameworks 5.80 is not released until March 13, so I would personally prefer you don't do that. It's very possible that I won't have KDE Frameworks 5.80 avaialble for me when doing the Beta release on March 18.

Is it really that needed to have that KF5 version for kate? Are the features enabled by that KF5 version so critical they can't wait for 21.08 or maybe be protected with ifdefs?

Cheers,
  Albert