Plasma Firewall on KDE Review

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Tue Jan 26 15:17:27 GMT 2021

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:24 PM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
wrote:

> Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> > I started a MR for a "Services" based on the firewalld xml that the user
> > will use to create the rules, on "easy mode".
>
> As in, you imported a copy of the service list from firewalld? I would
> much
> rather see your two backends use the native services / application
> profiles functionality from firewalld / UFW instead of carrying a copy in
> the frontend.

I wrote code that parsed a xml file from the firewalld project to populate
a model.
The code will (also) have code to download services from the github
repository so the "add new services over time" is covered.
I need (something) like this to populate the checkbox so the user can
choose what service he wants to use.
there's one thing that's important, the plasma-firewall is supposed to have
multiple backends, that means that some features for some backends will be
lacking as I need to find a common ground.

There's one thing that's a bit annoying while working on firewalld:

~ on  master ⌚ 15:08:53
$ firewalld --help
You need to be root to run /usr/bin/firewalld.

I need to be able to generate a list of services without asking for
firewalld services, as that will ask for password
that's the main reason that I parsed the xml.

on the UFW backend, this is not an issue, and I'm looking how easy is to
add support for the functionality. I still need to provide a list so I need
to parse some output nonetheless, and populate a model.

Best
Tomaz

Upstream firewalld and/or UFW can add new services over time,
> distributions can also add custom services. By carrying a copy of the
> list, you miss those additions. And you also reinvent functionality
> already present in the underlying backend.

Not trying to, just trying to present the options on screen.

Tomaz