Reminder - Please do not use noreply domains from Gitlab.com/Github.com

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Dec 7 05:49:13 GMT 2021

Hi all,

A while back Sysadmin encountered a series of issues with the DNS resolvers
that support the noreply email addresses offered by one of
Github.com/Gitlab.com to their users.
These issues led to our hooks refusing to accept the email addresses in
commits because the domain does not exist (because their DNS servers are
flaky/faulty).

As these domains are essentially anonymous and not usable in the long run
(and in the case of one of them having faulty DNS servers) the decision was
made to blacklist them.

Recently however we have had an incident where it appears, either someone
has either by accident or otherwise evaded this blacklist by using the
domain users.noreply.github.com.
That domain has now been added to the blacklist.

For those of you using repository forks to prepare your merge requests for
plasma/plasma-desktop, if it was created more than 5 days ago i'm afraid
your fork is now unable to be rebased and will need to be destroyed and
recreated.
(as the commit hooks will refuse to admit the commits from the noreply
domains - especially now that i've corrected the blacklist omission).

My apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Ben Cooksley
KDE Sysadmin