Is there (going to be) an auto-retracer service for KDE?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Apr 28 08:52:11 BST 2021

Lyubomir Parvanov wrote:
>  Currently to be able to submit bug reports with stacktraces one has to
> install the debug symbols locally for each package. As far as I know Gnome
> doesn't suffer from this issue because Apport is invoked and when it
> uploads the error report it is automatically retraced with the debug
> symbols on Canonical servers.

Retracing on a server implies uploading a core dump from the client to that
server, which, considering that a core dump can contain all sorts of
sensitive data, I consider an unacceptable privacy invasion. In addition,
core dumps can be very huge, which means uploading them can actually take
longer than downloading the debugging information on asymmetric consumer
broadband, and which also means it can come out expensive on metered or
capped Internet connection plans.

        Kevin Kofler