Is there (going to be) an auto-retracer service for KDE?

Elv1313 elv1313 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 08:35:24 BST 2021

> Automatic symbolication services are great, but they need to be run by
> distros, because distros are the ones who build their own binaries.

Until recently that was mostly true, but now that half of the major distros
ships with `debuginfod`, there is such a service.

https://lwn.net/Articles/847256/
https://lwn.net/Articles/852416/

These days I don't have the bandwidth to code in KDE much, but if someone
has time, I think there is a path forward here.

Assuming `debuginfod` works, it would be possible to implement a button
that
sends the backtrace, full backtrace or full core dump to bugs.kde.org. Of
course, that should be an explicit button like in Firefox or Windows
98/Me/2x/XP, not something done silently in the background like
"some other products".

Having worked a lot of the Apport data back in the day where I maintained
sflphone-kde, this data is super useful. As a network face app, most bugs
were obscure network race contitions in low level libraries like pjsip,
GNU telephony and ffmpeg. The odds of ever getting those in regular
integration tests was literally zero. So the aport data was invaluable.