Manner in which kde-gtk-config development is conducted

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sat Mar 21 14:07:36 GMT 2020

You're absolutely right that mistakes were made and have reason to be
frustrated.

kde-gtk-config is now maintained by new developers.
Plasma has a new influx of new people which is good to see and
something we need to foster carefully.

Overall these new devs are doing a super job and we want to encourage them.

Ultimately there are two parties at fault:
 - brand new developers who didn't know the rules. KDE has a lot of
rules and they're certainly not all written down in a consistent
location.

 - the more "senior" Plasma people (me, Kai, Aleix, etc) who do know
the rules, not paying due attention to something that's now under
Plasma's umbrella

>which means that the repository is no longer eligible to form
>part of a KDE release module and should be moved to Playground

I think this is an overreaction that punishes the wrong people. Users.

I think the tone of this email sends a strong message, and is in
proportion, but any action would be too much.
Ultimately if devs break a CI, its the devs that'll suffer because
they won't have a CI.

>Comments welcome.

I hear pre-commit CI will be a thing in the future?  If so this
specific problem will address itself.

David