CuteHMI in kdereview

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Sat Feb 15 13:11:11 GMT 2020

On Thursday, 13 February 2020 11:00:27 CET Michal Policht wrote:
> Yeah, I neglected translations a bit... I am going to implement adequate
> Qbs module for extracting translations.

Heya,

> When it comes to Qbs, it's not dead. Community has taken over the
> project, there's active development and recent version was released just
> 44 days ago.
>
> We migrated from QMake to Qbs, when it was still supported by Qt Company
> and promoted as official build system for Qt 6. Thus we assumed Qbs is
> the future. We've found that Qbs has some issues (like every software),
> but in overal it's very capable and powerful piece of software. It also
> provides much faster builds on Windows. I wish more people would give it
> a try before burying the project, to at least see the potential. With
> something like Qbs we could create a build framework with reusable
> components, so that each KDE subproject could benefit from it and become
> naturally integrated.

I think you're beating a dead horse here. The ship has sailed.

You'll be missing out on quite a bit of tooling which is implemented in KDE's
Extra CMake Modules framework:
  https://github.com/KDE/extra-cmake-modules
  (part of that is all the translation handling)

There's also no support for building QBS projects on KDE's CI:
  https://build.kde.org

> It may be hard to accomplish with CMake.

What exactly? I mean it's all there already.

> Regards,

PS: Qt's CMake-based build system just got merged into qtbase dev branch a few
days ago.

Regards,
Kevin