Calindori in kdereview

Dimitris Kardarakos dimkard at posteo.net
Fri Apr 17 14:27:04 BST 2020

On April 17, 2020 12:02:59 AM GMT+03:00, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>El diumenge, 12 d’abril de 2020, a les 15:42:15 CEST, Dimitris
>Kardarakos va escriure:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'd like to let you know that the Calindori [1] application has been
>> moved to kdereview.
>
>Some comments from playing with it a bit on the desktop.

Many thanks Albert for the review.

>Going from the day view to the month view in my computer takes about 4
>seconds. Can you reproduce that? Seems like if i have that on a phone
>that's less powerful would be worse.

Nope, but the month view, yes, it does cause performance issues. I had a short discussion with Marco on it during the plamo mini sprint.

>On the top bar of the Month view you're using the "wrong" way to format
>month + year
>See how i get "of April 2020" when used in catalan, you should be using
>standaloneMonthName there if you're not going to put the day in front
>(korganizer makes that mistake almost everywhere)
>https://i.imgur.com/4BwMCCn.png

It will be addressed.

>In the month view, I find it a bit weird that if i change the month to
>January 2020, it still says "16 April 2020", which i get, it's still
>"the selected date", but my brain is totally unhappy about it.

I get your point. But what would be a sensible value for the selected date after month change? 1st day of month? Same day of the next month?

>In the month view, the "Today" button is weird because it isn't
>actually "today" it's "show this month", if i am in this month, but
>have selected a different day (e.g. 30 of April) click "Today" does
>nothing. I would expect it to select today.

It should select the current day, I ll look into it.

>I find it a bit weird that going from Day view to Week view selects a
>different day, i.e. if i'm on Day view i get 16 of April, if i go to
>Week view i end up on 13 of April.

I thinks of global actions as context agnostic. On the other hand, if it was a contextual action, it would be required to remember the selected day. Dunno...

>When adding an event i find it a bit strange that the default duration
>is 0 seconds.

Well, I have never find useful the default event interval of Android calendar; I always end up changing the duration. What duration value would be a sensible default?

>The week view seems to use the megashort day names and at least in the
>desktop seems a bit empty https://i.imgur.com/qHAXXz8.png
>Wouldn't it make more sense to at least have the numbers in the list
>too?
This view is supposed to be filled with event and task summaries. If you add some events does it feel less empty?

>Where are the tasks stored? Is it using a standard format?

Calendar files in the standard kde app location, in ical format, using the kcalendarcore framework.

>Feature request: (obviously ignore for now)
>* I always want my events to have a reminder, let me set in options
>"create a reminder for events by default"

Yep, it is in my todo list :)

>Cheers,
>  Albert
>
>P.S: I get like a million QML warnings in the command line, but most of
>those seem to be more kirigami than yours

Mostly yes, we have to check them one by one.

>> Calindori is a calendar application, built with Kirigami and
>following
>> the KDE HIGs. It has been created for Plasma Mobile but it can also
>> run on Linux desktop environments.
>>
>> It offers:
>>
>> - Month view
>> - Week view
>> - Day view
>> - Event management
>> - Repeating events
>> - Alarms and notifications
>> - Todo management
>> - Multiple calendars
>> - Calendar import
>>
>> A set of touch friendly date and time pickers have also been created
>> for Calindori.
>>
>> I would be be happy if you reviewed and helped it to become part of
>> the release service.
>>
>> [1] https://invent.kde.org/kde/calindori/
>>
>> Have a great day,
>>
>> --