Calindori in kdereview

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Apr 17 22:38:11 BST 2020

El divendres, 17 d’abril de 2020, a les 15:27:04 CEST, Dimitris Kardarakos va escriure:
> On April 17, 2020 12:02:59 AM GMT+03:00, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> >El diumenge, 12 d’abril de 2020, a les 15:42:15 CEST, Dimitris
> >Kardarakos va escriure:
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> I'd like to let you know that the Calindori [1] application has been
> >> moved to kdereview.
> >
> >Some comments from playing with it a bit on the desktop.
> >
> Many thanks Albert for the review.
>
> >Going from the day view to the month view in my computer takes about 4
> >seconds. Can you reproduce that? Seems like if i have that on a phone
> >that's less powerful would be worse.
> >

> Nope, but the month view, yes, it does cause performance issues. I had a short discussion with Marco on it during the plamo mini sprint.
>
> >On the top bar of the Month view you're using the "wrong" way to format
> >month + year
> >See how i get "of April 2020" when used in catalan, you should be using
> >standaloneMonthName there if you're not going to put the day in front
> >(korganizer makes that mistake almost everywhere)
> >https://i.imgur.com/4BwMCCn.png
> >
> It will be addressed.
>
> >In the month view, I find it a bit weird that if i change the month to
> >January 2020, it still says "16 April 2020", which i get, it's still
> >"the selected date", but my brain is totally unhappy about it.
> >
> I get your point. But what would be a sensible value for the selected date after month change? 1st day of month? Same day of the next month?

That is a good question, and honestly I'm not really an UX expert, but in my opinion any of "1st day of month", "Same day of the other month" or even "no day selection" are better than keeping a huge text in the middle of the screen that no longer refers to the current month on view.

> >In the month view, the "Today" button is weird because it isn't
> >actually "today" it's "show this month", if i am in this month, but
> >have selected a different day (e.g. 30 of April) click "Today" does
> >nothing. I would expect it to select today.
> >
> It should select the current day, I ll look into it.
>
> >I find it a bit weird that going from Day view to Week view selects a
> >different day, i.e. if i'm on Day view i get 16 of April, if i go to
> >Week view i end up on 13 of April.
> >
> I thinks of global actions as context agnostic. On the other hand, if it was a contextual action, it would be required to remember the selected day. Dunno...

I don't understand what you mean as context agnostic. What i mean is
 * going to Month will show me the current month with     the current day selected
 * going to Day   will show me the current day   with     the current day selected
 * going to Week  will show me the current week  with NOT the current day selected

The third sentence seems like it would be more coherent to the other two if it selected the current day.

> >When adding an event i find it a bit strange that the default duration
> >is 0 seconds.
> >
> Well, I have never find useful the default event interval of Android calendar; I always end up changing the duration. What duration value would be a sensible default?

1 hour? I guess eventually once you have settings you should let people chose that.

> >The week view seems to use the megashort day names and at least in the
> >desktop seems a bit empty https://i.imgur.com/qHAXXz8.png
> >Wouldn't it make more sense to at least have the numbers in the list
> >too?
> This view is supposed to be filled with event and task summaries. If you add some events does it feel less empty?

I guess, yes.

Cheers,
  Albert