Kup in KDE Review

Simon Persson simon.persson at mykolab.com
Thu Apr 9 06:07:10 BST 2020

On 2020-04-07 21:28, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> This looks great.  I think the other comments have covered the main
> issues so I'll just make a cheeky feature request and suggest it gets
> the ability to upload to cloud storage since I would guess that's the
> main way to do backups these days. Talking to Nextcloud or gdrive or
> AWS directly would make it much more useful to have.
>
> Jonathan

Thanks for the kind words. Yep, there are probably some people who want
to save backups to some server. It is possible with kup since the
beginning, by using a fuse mount. Which you need to figure out yourself.
Then just point kup to the filesystem path and kup will from then on
monitor mounts and unmounts to see if that path is available. So just
make sure to mount the storage at the same point every time. But... in
order to do something a bit smoother for the user to configure I have
not done much. I have looked at SMB  but never figured out a way that I
could let the user browse for network shares and configure fuse mounts
easily. So nothing ever came out of that effort. Then I imagined other
protocols will be similar so never looked at anything else.

If somebody has an idea how the current situation can be improved I
would be interested to hear, even though working on it would be very low
priority for me. For myself I have never used anything cloudish. Except
email and github, I guess... :)

Simon