Downtime for SVN - Action Required

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Apr 12 11:27:25 BST 2020

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 10:12 PM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El diumenge, 12 d’abril de 2020, a les 10:56:12 CEST, Ben Cooksley va escriure:
> > Additionally, following this migration we will begin limiting access
> > to the Subversion repository to those actively using it. The list of
> > people whose access will be continued can be found at
> > https://cgit.kde.org/repo-management.git/tree/svn-ssh-keys/users-list
>
> Can you explain what's the rationale for what seems a rather arbitrary decision that may even go against our manifesto?

This was already gone over as part of the thread with the subject
"Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure", which you
participated in.
It is far from an arbitrary decision, and has already been discussed.

In addition to what was discussed then, while implementing the
retrieval of SSH keys from Gitlab it has been discovered that there is
no way to easily retrieve all the SSH keys belonging to the members of
a given group in bulk from it's API. The only way to do this by
fetching the keys for each user who needs access in turn which creates
a scalability problem.

As Subversion access is only needed by those working on translations,
I don't see the problem here, and anyone with a developer account who
believes they may need access is welcome to request access - keeping
in mind that they should only be doing so if it is something they
need.

> Do people not on that list at least get a nice message saying "please request access here" when trying to commit to SVN?

Their SSH key will not be recognised and they will be refused access,
so it will not be possible to provide any form of message.

> Cheers,
>   Albert

Regards,
Ben