CI system maintainability

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Thu Mar 28 13:33:59 GMT 2019

Le jeudi 28 mars 2019, 09:29:22 CET Kevin Ottens a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> On Thursday, 28 March 2019 09:16:11 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > Please note that the commits in this instance were pushed without
> > review, so restrictions on merge requests wouldn't make a difference
> > in this case unfortunately.
>
> Maybe it's about time to make reviews mandatory... I know it's unpopular in
> KDE, and I advocated for "don't force a tool if you can get someone to look
> at your screen or pair with you" in the past. Clearly this compromise gets
> somewhat exploited and that's especially bad in the case of a fragile and
> central component like KDE PIM.
>
> Regards.

Hi,

I am against to force mandatory review, as it will create a lot of lose of
time, and we will not be sure that review is correct (see comment from Volker
about "transaction lock regression")

It's necessary to having a big team for doing it.

Ok a repo was broken, but it was just that fix was created in master not
19.04, I didn't see nobody on IRC told us "this package is always broken",
when I saw it this morning I just cherry pick (2 seconds for fixing it).

For example I works all days on kde (pim or other) when I wake up, or at noon
after my lunch or the evening, I will not wait several days for a review
because nobody has time to do it. (we can see a review from zanshin for
example https://phabricator.kde.org/D16210 we can see that David waited 2
months until having an answer...).

(For example I make ~ 15 commits by days on pim/ruqola/framework, I don't want
to wait several days/weeks until someone wants to review my patchs)

I will not lose my time to review some code that I don't understand... I never
reviewed Akonadi patch as I don't understand this code, and I will take time
on it just for the pleasure as I prefer fixing bug or adding new features in
components that I maintain.

When we have a big team as Qt team it can help but in pim component where we
don't have any redundant guy, we will lose a lot of time.

So for each increase version for each package I will wait a review. For sure
not.

Each time that I will improve code as coding style I will wait that someone
wants to review...

I know that it's easy to write "make reviews mandatory" there is not an impact
about your work as we know that you are not really active on kde at the
moment...

For sure I broke kcontact 2 days ago, but as a friend told me when I started
to work on kde "We can't create a bug when we don't code..."

Regards

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
KDAB (France) S.A.S., a KDAB Group company Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53,