What means having an application in "KDE Applications"

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Thu Jun 20 08:43:08 BST 2019

Nate Graham ha scritto:
> On 6/19/19 3:57 PM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
>> My point is that that if the main driver for the inclusion is raising the
>> awareness about a certain project and attracting new developers, given that no
>> data support this correlation, then maybe the inclusion itself should be
>> questioned.
>
> While I agree that inclusion doesn't guarantee higher awareness, the inverse
> seems more likely to me, for maintainerless apps at least: with no maintainer
> to request and coordinate releases, apps not in KDE Applications don't get
> released, so their awareness gradually drops to zero over time. Inclusion in
> the KDE Applications bundle may not be a panacea, but how else are
> maintainerless/community-maintained apps supposed to get released?

That's a good question. In the past few applications have found a new
maintainer "out of the blue" and got a release. Some of them opted for joining
KDE Applications (but only after getting a maintainer, not before), other did not.

>From a community point of view, an interesting effort - which would require a
new team and, more important, new coordinator, has been the KDE Gardening Project:
https://community.kde.org/Gardening
(k3b was not part of KDE Applications at that time but regardless of that it
had a bunch of bugs that required some fixes).

On the other hand I'd like to mention that the last two applications that have
been proposed (not by their maintainer) to join KDE Applications do have
maintainers (keurocalc and yakuake).

--
Luigi