Tipping the apple cart?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jul 2 22:26:12 BST 2019

El dimarts, 2 de juliol de 2019, a les 8:42:26 CEST, Boudewijn Rempt va escriure:
> On maandag 1 juli 2019 23:34:14 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Or were you mostly getting patches sent as plain diffs uploaded to phabricator instead of by using arc?
>
> Yes, nearly nobody uses arc.

As a data point i went over the 50 most recent phabricator code reviews, stats say

48 uploaded using arc
2 uploaded not using arc

Then i went over the 20 most recent phabricator Krita code reviews, stats say

15 uploaded using arc
5 uploaded not using arc

Then again this is counting MRs not counting people, it could be that all the 15 arc MR where made by 2 people and the other 5 by 5 different people, i was bored enough to check that.

I understand that you have the impression that nearly nobody uses arc, but it'd seem to me that stats show otherwise (but would need more investigation about it).

Anyway, didn't gitlab have the "send patch by email to create a MR" functionality?

Would that solve your issue?

> > > * Gitlab has an exceedingly confusing UI where many options are very hard to find. The first thing I want to see when I get a MR is the diff,
> >
> > I guess that's your opinion, having the actual textual description and discussion is also very valuable, since you can get an overview on the MR quite fast.
> >
> > > and that means scrolling and hunting for a very small button.
> >
> > You mean the "Changes" button? I find it of adequate size
>
> I guess that's _your_ opinion.

Yes, when i write "I find it of adequate size" i thought it was clear it was "I" stating that "find it" of "adequate size".

> > > * using the label system for approving a MR is cumbersome
> >
> > What does this mean?
>
> Check that MR I linked above and you can figure out yourself how we're using labels. It's the only mechanism we've found that would get close to the workflow needed to pass a MR from "needs review" to "needs changes" to "approved".

Right i see. Would using the "thumbs down" to say "needs changes" make sense instead  of using the label? I guess it was more the original idea they had.

Cheers,
  Albert