KDiff3 craft setup

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Feb 19 06:59:46 GMT 2019

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 7:36 PM Kevin Funk <kfunk at kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday, 18 February 2019 17:06:25 CET Michael Reeves wrote:
> > https://download.kde.org/stable/applications/18.12.1/src/kdiff3-18.12.1.tar.
> > xz
> >
> > Get some one tell me how to change where it's trying to download from.
> > KDiff3 is not part of applications and doesn't follow the same versioning.
>
> Heya,

Hi Kevin,

> Could you please reconsider that decision and check whether it's not more
> worthwhile making kdiff3 part of KDE Applications? It will save you (as the
> maintainer) and others (distribution packagers) a major headache.

It would seem that KDiff3 was always meant to be released by it's
maintainer, as it moved from KDE Review directly to Extragear.
I'm not sure why it was included in the Applications release process.

> You'll be responsible for releasing kdiff3 now and in the future if you choose
> to do your own release schedule. Let me just say: It's not something which is
> particular entertaining in the long-term. Your KDiff3 involvement will get
> less eventually, and then someone else needs to take over releasing it -- if
> it's part of the KDE Apps cycle it'll be done automatically, no matter what.
>
> KDiff3 is not the type of application which needs its own release cycle, IMO,
> it's too small & "undynamic" [1] for that.

The above is very true though - there are quite a few benefits to
being part of KDE Applications.

> Regards,
> Kevin

Cheers,